Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Waiting for ice-out

Friends Steve and Mary Jo visited our Birch Lake retreat last week. Steve and I went ice fishing – he showed me the routine of setting tipups for walleyes. It was single-digits cold with wind gusts to 25 mph and more, blowing new snow in miniature tornadoes across the lake. Boring holes with the gasoline-power auger, we found the ice 18 inches thick.

Now February is winding down, and I’m waiting for ice-out. I’ll be waiting for a while, I realize, but I look forward to observing, for the first time ever, the thawing of a lake. I never had that opportunity until we bought our land and had year-round access to the lake. I do know that lake-dwellers keep track of ice-in and ice-out dates as major milestones of each year.

While I wasn’t there to see it, I know that the ice went out early on Birch in 2010. I waded in the lake, not at all uncomfortably, in mid-April of that year. 2011 was a different story. When our family held a ceremonial groundbreaking for the cabin on April 16, the lake was still frozen stiff, it was cold, windy and snowing, and we drank our champagne huddled inside our RV trailer.

This year all signs point to early ice-out, but of course that can change – March can still be brutal and April chilly, and the ice can linger even into May. Now that the cabin is complete, we can be there as the days finally get warm and the ice recedes. I can’t wait to watch it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment