Tuesday, February 24, 2015

A place for lake lovers



What are you doing April 23-25? If you love your lake, you might want to consider attending the 2015 Wisconsin Lakes Partnership Convention, or at least a part of it.

I’ll attend this year for the fifth time, and I wish I had started long ago. It’s an inspiring event. You spend a couple of days surrounded by scientists, communicators, lake association leaders, advocacy group representatives and others all interested in one thing: making lakes better.

For a few days you shed your political affiliation, forget what you do for a living and just learn, in hands-on workshops, field trips, lecture sessions, poster presentations, an exhibit hall, and casual break-time and lunchtime conversations.

Sessions cover all manner of subjects: aquatic invasive species, wetland protection, fishery surveys, nutrients and algae, shoreland zoning and other government policies and, perhaps most important, how to get involved in improving the lakes you care most about.

My all-time favorite session, during my first trip to the convention, was a half-day workshop on aquatic plants. There were slide presentations followed by hands-on exercises examining specimens of common and less common plants and using what’s called a taxonomic key to identify them by name. I’m a fisherman by avocation, but now when I’m out on the water, I am much more attuned to the greenery below and on the surface – it’s no longer just “weeds.”

Also of note are the plenary (whole-group) sessions, which generally feature inspiring speakers. This year, the keynote speaker is Marion Stoddart, a citizen leader and grassroots organizer who is largely responsible for the conversion of New England’s Nashua River, once among the nation’s most polluted rivers, into a candidate for the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System.

I can’t wait to hear her talk. I know I haven’t done as much as I could for lakes, including my own, and her words may help nudge me into more action.

The convention will be at the Holiday Inn Convention Center in Stevens Point. That’s not so far away, and the registration fees are affordable. There’s a good chance that one or more leaders of your lake group plans to attend. If you’re interested in doing more for your lake, you might want to consider going along.


I know I appreciate lakes more deeply, and feel better qualified too advocate for them, because I’ve gone to this event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment